Tuesday, February 12, 2008

2008 Bronx Half Marathon

On Sunday (2/10) I ran the Bronx Half Marathon in 1:21:56 (6:15 pace) for 41th place out of 3263, 5th out of 371 in my age group. I was hoping to run under 1:21:00 with the goal of running as close to an even 6:10 pace. Went out in 6:00 at 1, 12:09 at 2, and 18:13 at 3, a bit quicker than I was looking for, however was feeling fine and not laboring too much. After that point the course turns back and you basically do the first three miles in reverse. During the fourth mile there are some hills and that is when the wind started to pick up, just gusts at first. Had the following splits 24:30 to 4, 30:53 at 5, and 37:09 at 6. Miles 7 to 11 are on the Grand Concourse, basically 2 miles out and back. Out was into a strong sustained headwind and at this point I was just trying to hang with the three or so guys I was running with and draft when I could. I am not sure of the splits, however I know that I definitely lost some time here. Coming back the Grand Concourse was much better with a tail wind, hit 10 in 1:02:33 and 11 in 1:08:41 (6:08). At 11 there was still a pack of three guys a few seconds up the road in front of me so I made it my goal to catch them. I was finally able to pass all three guys just slightly after 12 miles, however I think it had more to do with them slowing down, then me picking up the pace. After that I just tried to push it in to the finish. That will probably be it for the races for a month or so and just concentrate on training for Boston.
Bronx Course map:
http://www.nyrr.org/races/2008/pdf/bronxhalf_map.pdf

1 comment:

Laura said...

What an awesome time/place - congratulations! I don't think I had even made it to the Grand Concourse by the time you were turning back onto the Mosholu :)